If you are building an app that uses Google Play Games Services for leaderboards and achievements, be sure to go through the checklist provided on the Google developers website. Here is the link: Checklist for Google Play Game Services.
I was reworking how my space war app connects to Play Games Services when I found the page. It really helped to have the checklist, and it was good to have the sample TypeANumber demo app to go along with it. From the checklist, I decided to do the following:
- Provide players with a sign-in option to Play Games services.
- Provide players with a sign-out option.
- Remember if players declined signing-in.
- Follow Google branding guidelines. (And use their icons.)
- Remind players that they are signed-in. (Example: Your achievements are being saved with Google Play.)
Here are a few screenshots from my space war app. There are two screens that connect to Google Play Games. One is the StartActivity that starts right after the splash screen fades. The other is the LeaderboardsActivity. Both screens do an automatic connection to Google Play unless one of these two conditions hold: (1) the player has clicked a button to sign out; (2) there have been 3 or more failures to connect.
If you’d like to see how automatic sign-in works in my app, you can get the app by joining the DoubleStar Beta community.