It’s interesting where you find serious discussion of big ideas. Awhile ago, I read the article “Game Developers Will Shape the Future of our World.” I really like this statement attributed to Jane McGonigal from the Institute of the Future:
“To be happy, humans crave: satisfying work to do, the experience of being good at something, time spent with people we like, a chance to be part of something bigger“
Following up on this reference, I learned that she is something of an expert on happiness and building engaging experiences. Below are links related to the keynote address and game design.
- There are two interviews available about her keynote address: part1, part2.
I especially like the part about always giving positive feedback
- Top Secret Dance Off – The community she talks about in the interviews.
- A Game Designer’s Perspective On The Future Of Happiness
- Making Your Own Reality – A presentation of hers from 2009. As one person said, “Super inspiring, even if you are not a game designer”.
Included here is the slide on “What Humans Crave”.
- Gaming Can Make A Better World – A talk at the TED conference from February 2010.